The Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST) is a common qualifying test for
admissions to Ph.D. programmes in Physics at premier Indian research
institutions and a Ph.D. programme in Theoretical Computer Science at the Institute
of Mathematical Sciences. The JEST exam is used to shortlist candidates
and does not automatically entitle an applicant to get a Research
Fellowship. Using JEST results, each institute will call a limited
number of candidates for its own selection procedure depending, on its
requirements. All selected candidates will receive Research Fellowships
from the respective institutes.
M.Sc. in Physics or M.Sc. / M.E. / M.Tech. in related disciplines.
M.Sc. in Mathematics / Applied Physics / Applied Mathematics / Optics
and Photonics / Instrumentation / Electronics will also be considered at IIA.
B.E. or B.Tech. will also be considered at IISc, IMSc, IUCAA, JNCASR,
NCRA-TIFR RRI, IISER Mohali, IISER Pune, IISER Thiruvananthapuram and
Talented final year B.Sc. and first year M.Sc. in Physics /
Electronics / Astronomy / Applied Mathematics students may also apply to
be pre-selected for research scholarship at IUCAA.
MSc in Physics, Engineering Physics or Applied Physics will also be considered at IPR.
Theoretical Computer Science:
M.Sc./ M.E. / M.Tech. / M.C.A. in Computer Science and related
disciplines, and should be interested in the mathematical aspects of
computer science. Visit website of IMSc for further details.
Integrated M.Sc. / M.Tech - Ph.D Programme
At HRI, IISER-Pune, SNBNCBS, and NCRA-TIFR candidates with a
Bachelor's degree will also be considered for the integrated M.Sc.,
Ph.D. programme in Physics.
At IMSc, graduates with Bachelor’s degree in science/ mathematics/
/statistics /computer science/information technology/Engineering will
also be considered for admission in Physics and in Theoretical Computer
Science, as part of an integrated Ph.D. programme. All candidates
successful in the course work of this programme shall be awarded an
At SNBNCBS, graduates with B.Sc. (Physics) / B.E. / B.Tech. degree
will be considered for the integrated Post-B.Sc.-Ph.D. programme in
subject areas mentioned above.
At IIA, graduates with B.Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tech.
in Electrical / Instrumentation / Engineering Physics / Electronics and
Communications / Computer Science and Engineering / Optics and Photonics
will be considered.
Integrated M.Tech - Ph.D. Programme at IIA
Graduates with M.Sc. (Physics / Applied Physics) / Post-B.Sc. (Hons)
in Optics and Optoelectronics / Radio Physics and Electronics / B.E. /
B.Tech. degree in subjects mentioned above will be considered. Visit IIA
website for details.
- ARIES: Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences, Nainital: Astronomy and Astrophysics, and Atmospheric Physics.
- HBNI: Homi Bhabha National Institute, Mumbai, a Deemed University.
- HRI: Harish-Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad: Theoretical Physics, Astrophysics.
Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, Kalpakkam: Materials Science,
Condensed Matter (Experimental and Theoretical), Radiation Damage and
Accelerator-based Research, Sensors and Applications, Science and
Technology of Nanomaterials, Computational Materials Science, Reactor
Physics, Radiation Physics and Atmospheric Science.
- IIA: Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore: Astronomy and Astrophysics, Astronomical Instrumentation, Optics, and Atomic Physics.
- IISc: Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore:
Condensed Matter Physics (Experiments and Theory), Astronomy and
Astrophysics (Theoretical), Atomic and Optical Physics (Experimental),
Biocrystallography and Bio-informatics, and High Energy Physics
- IISER MOHALI:
Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali: Quantum
Theory, Quantum Information Processing, NMR-Methodology, Optics,
Statistical Mechanics, Quantum Thermodynamics, Non-linear Dynamics,
String Theory, Ultrafast Physics, and Low Temperature Mesoscopic
- IISER PUNE:
Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune: Field Theory,
Theoretical Particle Physics, Condensed Matter Physics, Non-linear
Dynamics, Complex Systems and Networks, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Spectroscopy, Quantum Information Processing, Radio Astrophysics, Atomic
Physics and Quantum Optics, Energy Studies, Solar and Plasma Physics,
Nanosciences, Scanning Probe Techniques, and Semiconductor Physics and
- IISER THIRUVANANTHAPURAM:
Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram:
Experimental Condensed Matter: Magnetic and Superconducting materials,
Nanoscience and Energy materials, Photonics, Soft Condensed Matter,
Semiconductor Physics and Devices, Surface Sciences and Nano-scale
Plasmonics, Terahertz and Ultrafast Spectroscopy; Theory: Cosmology,
Classical and Quantum Gravity, Gravitational Wave Physics, Quantum
Information Theory, Quantum Field Theory, and Statistical Physics.
- IMSc: The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai: Theoretical Physics, and Theoretical Computer Science.
- IOP: Institute of Physics, Bhubaneswar: Physics (Condensed Matter, Nuclear and High Energy Physics) and Accelerator-based Research.
- IPR: Institute for Plasma Research, Gandhinagar: Physics (Experimental and Theoretical).
- IUCAA: Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune: Physics, Astronomy and Astrophysics.
- JNCASR: Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore: Experimental and Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics, Statistical Mechanics, and Materials Science.
- NCRA-TIFR: National Centre for Radio Astrophysics, TIFR, Pune: Astronomy and Astrophysics.
- NISER: National Institute of Science Education and Research, Bhubaneswar:
Theoretical High Energy Physics and Lattice QCD, Experimental High
Energy Physics, Condensed Matter Physics (Theory and Experiment), Optics
Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad: Theoretical Physics, Astronomy
and Astrophysics, Solar Physics, Space and Atmospheric Sciences,
Planetary Science and Geo-Sciences.
- RRCAT: Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology, Indore:
Lasers and their Applications, Laser Plasma Interaction, Cold Atom
Physics, Condensed Matter Physics (Superconductivity and Magnetism, Crystals
and Thin Films), Nanomaterials and Applications, Non-linear and
Ultrafast Optical Studies, Beam Physics, and Free Electron Laser.
- RRI: Raman Research Institute, Bangalore: Astronomy and Astrophysics, Light and Matter Physics, Soft Condensed Matter Physics (Liquid Crystals, Physics in Biology), and Theoretical Physics.
- SINP: Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata: Condensed Matter Physics (Theory and Experiments), Nuclear Physics (Theory and Experiments), High Energy Physics (Theory and Experiments), Astroparticle Physics, Quantum Gravity, String Theory, Mathematical Physics, and Materials Science (Surface Science and Plasma Physics).
SNBNCBS: Satyendra Nath Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata: Astrophysics and Cosmology, Chemical and Biological Physics, Condensed Matter Physics and Material Science, High Energy Physics and Quantum Field Theory, Mathematical Physics, Nanosciences, Quantum Optics and Quantum Information, Statistical Physics, and Complex Systems.
UGC-DAE CSR: UGC-DAE Consortium for Scientific Research, Indore: Surfaces, Interfaces, Thin Films and Nanomaterials, Physics at Low Temperatures and High Magnetic Fields, X-ray, Optical and Electron Spectroscopic Studies Using Synchrotron and Laboratory Sources; Electrical, Magnetic and Thermal Properties of Condensed Matter; Condensed Matter studies using Magnetic Neutron
Diffraction, Nuclear Technique Based Condensed Matter Physics-Positron Annihilation Spectroscopy, Mossbauer Spectroscopy, Experimental Nuclear Physics, Gamma Ray Spectroscopy of Nuclear High Spin States, and Nuclear Reactions.
VECC : Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, Kolkata: Accelerator Physics, Condensed Matter Physics and Materials Science, Nuclear Physics (Experiments and Theory), Relativistic Heavy Ion Collisions (Experiments, Theory, QCD and QGP), and Physics of Neutrinos (Experiments).
PhD Programmes in Physics / Theoretical Computer Science