The fast growing Biotechnology
sector in Karnataka has been facing severe shortage of industry-ready
graduates and post-graduates for a long time. In an effort to fulfill
the needs of the industry, the Karnataka government in association with
the Vision Group, ABLE and Industry representatives has developed a
mechanism to provide employment opportunities in the sector. In the
Millennium Biotech Policy-II, the Government of Karnataka has initiated
establishment of finishing schools across the state. Twelve BT Finishing
Schools (BTFS) have been established in Karnataka with appropriate
course content and duration to equip graduates and post-graduates with
necessary employable skills and to make them industry ready. All 12 BTFS
will be commencing their courses from September 2011.
are invited from interested students for admission into post-graduate
diploma in specialized areas of biotechnology for the academic session
2011-12. Admissions will be through an online entrance test followed by
At the time of interview: Candidate should carry
1. Three passport size photos
2. Original and photocopy of degree certificates
1. KBAT aims to test the fundamental and concepts in Biology (particularly general and cell & molecular biology), Aptitude and English.
2. KBAT is an online exam. It can be taken from anywhere with a good internet facility
3. KBAT consists of 100 multiple choice questions which need to be answered in 100 minutes
4. This year KBAT for admission to the BTFS programs is being conducted by Shodhaka Life Sciences Pvt. Ltd.
must have a minimum of 50% in Masters degree from Universities of the
state or any other University recognized as equivalent in Life Sciences,
Biotechnology, Microbiology, Biochemistry or any other life science
related courses; B.E./B.Tech. – Biotechnology; Bachelor of Pharmacy,
Agriculture, Veterinary, MBBS and BDS are also eligible to apply.
who have appeared for the M.Sc/B.E. final exams can also apply. Upon
selection, a provisional degree certificate should be submitted to the
respective colleges within two weeks of course commencement.
Courses offered through BTFS (Biotechnology Finishing Schools): Specialization
1. Bioinformatics and Rational Drug Design
2. Nutraceuticals and Food Processing
3. Pre-clinical, Clinical Research, Bio-statistics and Data Management
4. Fermentation and Bio-processing
5. Biosensors and Medical Devices
6. Plant Genetic Transformation, Genome, Seed and Marker Analysis
7. Cellular and Molecular Diagnostics
8. Protein Expression and Scale up
9. Plant tissue culture and Micro Propagation